Monday, August 10, 2015

Farm Fresh

We went to the Farmers' Market at Monument Square last week. The year round Market is open here every Wednesday from 7AM-1PM. On Saturdays, it moves to Deering Oaks. It runs from basically late April through the start of December. During the dead of winter, it moves indoors. You can get just about anything for your dinner table and really a lot more. Lots of seasonal offerings like vegetables, fruit, flowers, herbs, berries, honey, jams, maple syrup, berries, seedlings, goat cheese, beef, pork, chicken, bacon, sausage, perennials, eggs are just a few of the items that you can find huddled among the Portland Public Library, shops and open- air restaurants. All the while, Our Lady of Victories keeps an eye over the entire affair.
She's taking in the whole scene.
And probably planning a little shopping on the side.
"Let's see snap peas, beets, couple of ears of corn..."

18 comments:

  1. Looks like a good farmers market but I'm curious what their winter fare must be.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That looks like a good sized market but, like Kathy I'm wondering what is for sale during the winter. Do some of the local farms grow in greenhouses?

    ReplyDelete
  3. A small farmer's market takes place in my town on Thursdays, but only through the summer when local produce is available. Nice to browse the stalls and pick up fresh veg, and yummy home made butter tarts!

    ReplyDelete
  4. They move inside here for the winter too. Lots of root veggies, fruits, etc.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I guess it is better than shopping at a supermarket...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Haha, I'm sure you're right about Mary. A good Jewish Mother is always thinking about what to cook next. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ooooh I'd love this. And I like your angle.

    ReplyDelete
  8. A busy farmer's market is a pleasure to have in a city.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have enjoyed the produce at our Farmer's Market, but I don't get there often. They are open just when Habitat is building houses, so there is a conflict. Local fresh veg always tastes better than the picked green stuff in the stores.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Can't beat on Farm Market. Even tho we have huge veggie gardens we still love going to ours on Sunday mornings.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I think I hit this very market on my one trip to Portland years ago. I have happy memories of a big bag of blueberries that lasted even through my flight home.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Farmers Markets are very dangerous places in the summer; I usually buy far more than we can eat and I admit that I waste too much.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Gotta love a good Farmers Market. I really should make the effort to get out to markets more often

    ReplyDelete
  14. Left you a comment on your post about the guitars...I looked for myself in your photo, LOL. My current post is from that day. I always loved the Deering Oaks one more, but now I totally love this one too!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I usually go to farmers markets, but this summer has been so busy . . .

    ReplyDelete