Wednesday, November 5, 2014

Bike Rack

Just read the article and checked out the times of Tina Ament in the Ironman Triathalon World Championships this past October in Hawaii. The course includes a 2.4 mile swim, a 112 mile bike pedal and a marathon of 26.2 miles. For many, the completion time is well in excess of 17 hours. Her time was 16:18:05. Amazing! The swim would be the most difficult for me, and, of course, I would need a set of those plastic water wings to compete. My time would probably be measured in days not hours, if I was lucky. Of course I did my training swimming in the Boys' Club pool, riding the neighborhood on my JC Higgins and running a bit at the mouth. I have a feeling this is not the degree of long years of training she puts into her effort. Oh well, at least I can sit back and greatly admire athletes like her.
She must be an amazing person.
Oh, did I mention, she's blind.
Astounding!


20 comments:

  1. Wow, that is amazing. I'm impressed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! Just reading about her accomplishments makes me tired.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I could barely try to push on pedals for a few miles, but there is no way to run or swim for miles...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love these events! Although, I will have to say, I've never been a big fan of the swimming component. I hate having to hop on a bicycle after you've gotten all wet. Yuck!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love watching those events but I wouldn't make it out of the water!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Amazing! I read about her too. What an accomplishment for anyone but to do it blind-----I can't even walk a straight line with my eyes closed. Congrats to Tina Ament.
    MB

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, that is amazing. I know a girl who as we speak is trying to break a new world record by running on a treadmill! She will run for 48 hours!

    You can see here live here: http://palten.se/se/Index.asp?Sida=278#T1546

    ReplyDelete
  8. I admire people who do those competitions. I'm pretty fit, but not crazy enough to want to run and bike and swim for hours!

    ReplyDelete
  9. My hat off. I'm tired just looking at these wheels this evening.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Nice shot!
    Any single part of that ordeal would be more than enough to flatten me out. Triathalons seem to take torture to the extreme, though I'll readily admit to admiration for those who do it. (I'll be out of town for a few days - see you when I get back.)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Kudos for Tina! And I complain about my knees??!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Pretty impressive. The bicycling would be the hardest. I wonder how she does it.

    ReplyDelete