Thursday, July 17, 2014

Kid Among Books

Here's some side banter back and forth, overheard between mother and child at a recently opened bookstore in the Old Port. A young girl, maybe ten, is sitting on a front counter in the afternoon sun. 
"Mom, I know what I want. I need to get one more thing. You promised."
Mom mentions, "Did you see those  silver, trinket bracelets in the back?"
The young girl kicking her feet to and fro, with a look like she's lost in another world says, "Mom, I know what I want."
Her mother returns with, "So, what do you want? Have you seen a book? We've gotta go. We're late now."
Nonchalantly, she answers, "No, but I'll know when I see it."
Promises and tired kids just aren't a good combination, when you're on vacation. 
I'm experienced in this.
Aren't we all?

17 comments:

  1. ha, i've had a few of those conversations! love the photo!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Snatches of conversation can be very entertaining :) meanwhile what fab image Birdman, love the inside looking out onto what looks like a beautiful sunny day.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great mishmasheroni in that shop window . . . xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the image and the quoted conversation...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ah yes... a look into the mind of a young person on holiday. Nice picture and story. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Said child shall remain nameless, right? Oh, but wait! Is that her picture? :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Get used to it....you're on permanent vacation!! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. oh yeah...I used to WORK in bookstores too...

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sometimes it's tough being a kid out shopping with a parent.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I feel sorry for kids in shops, when they are with adults who are stressed and not very nice:)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I've been the kid once or twice in this scenario!

    ReplyDelete
  12. If we have children we sure do. The stories I could tell! But they would bore everyone - they have their own.

    ReplyDelete